Mum with cancer in fresh agony after puppy bought to lift spirits gets parvovirus

A sad family coping with a devastating diagnosis of cancer continued to suffer when they discovered they had been deceived by a puppy farm scam – and their new pooch nearly died.

Hospital worker Stephanie Wilkins, 34, and husband David bought an adorable spaniel from Wales for £ 1,400 after seeing an advertisement online. They carried out checks and visited the puppy at home.

The couple hoped pooch Cooper would help lift the spirits of their children Scarlett, James, and Sebastian after Stephanie was told her breast cancer was incurable, TeamDogs reports.

But instead, Cooper nearly died of parvovirus, a highly contagious and fatal disease that attacks the gastrointestinal tract and immune system.

Cooper in isolation at Bath Vets

Continue reading
Continue reading

And a subsequent visit to the RSPCA found that the alleged home address of the breeder had only been rented to deceived buyers. The family was later also told that they had received forged vaccination cards.

Stephanie said, “I’ve been dealing with breast cancer for five years.

“It came back and I’ve now been told it was incurable so we had a lot to do as a family. We wanted something positive for the kids and Cooper is our first family pet. “

Regarding the moment they knew there was something wrong with the pooch, Stephanie continued, “Cooper went really quiet and didn’t want to eat and when he had severe diarrhea we knew we had to get him help. “

They brought Cooper to the Bath Vet Group, part of My Family Vets, where he was diagnosed with parvovirus.

Stephanie and David Wilkins with Cooper

Stephanie and David Wilkins with Cooper

Parvoviruses can be picked up through dog-to-dog contact, infected feces, or from surfaces such as bowls or leashes. It can be transmitted by human hands and clothing, and it can even be transmitted by cats.

Early, aggressive treatment may include intravenous fluids to treat shock and control dehydration, anti-nausea drugs, and highly specialized viral drugs.

Treatment is intense and there was little chance he would get through, but luckily Cooper made it.

“When I visited, he looked awful, like he just wanted to die and I didn’t want him to suffer,” said Stephanie.

“But every time he got really sick and it looked like every hour could be his last, he stabilized again. He’s a real little fighter and I know everyone at Bath Vets liked and wanted him. “

Cooper with Stephanie's children Scarlett and Sebastian

Cooper with Stephanie’s children Scarlett and Sebastian

According to My Family Pets, this potentially fatal disease is on the rise due to the surge in puppy purchases during the lockdown, as well as the struggle to keep up with vaccinations during that time.

The emergency service Vets Now recorded an 82% increase in suspected cases in the first five months of 2021 compared to the same period in the previous year.

Puppies and older dogs are especially prone to this disease, with symptoms such as bloody diarrhea, vomiting, fever, and lethargy.

Stephanie urges owners to make sure their pet is vaccinated and to seek help immediately if they discover their pup is not doing well.

With veterinarian Fran at Bath Vets during an examination

With veterinarian Fran at Bath Vets during an examination

Bath Vet Group’s veterinarian Giulia Grenga said, “Cooper is really lucky to have recovered from Parvos, which can often be fatal.

“Unfortunately, parvo cases have risen in the UK after the lockdown, despite the fact that an effective vaccine is available.

“We urge everyone to beware of unscrupulous breeders who take advantage of the increased demand for puppies. And make sure that your dogs, regardless of age, are up to date with their annual vaccinations. “

Join our brand new sister site TeamDogs today!

It’s a place to share a picture of your dog on our Top Dogs feed and share your dog tips.

While puppies and older dogs are the most susceptible to the disease, healthy dogs are also at risk. Early treatment will improve your dog’s chances of survival, so take him to the vet immediately.

Continue reading
Continue reading

Comments are closed.